blog :. joão costa

@ Interactive Telecommunications Program

Category: New Interfaces for Musical Expression

project development studio : fabrication update

For the last couple of weeks I’ve been working on the fabrication of the instrument. I have two modules fully assembled and working as expected. Since I have all the pieces for the modules ready, now it is only a matter of assembling each one of them. Right now I’m working on the mount for […]

project development studio : update

After figuring out the dimensions I’ll be working with, I bought the final wood, which is Poplar, and started working on the CNC router. I’ve done ten out of twenty pieces of wood. This week will be dedicated to fabricating the wheels that’ll hold the horsehair and play the strings. Also, I’ll be trying some […]

project development studio : quick update

For the past two weeks I’ve been working on a prototype on the CNC router with 2″x3″ pine studs. Right now I am trying to figure out the correct dimensions and measurements so I can move on and build the final system.

project development studio : update

I have finally defined how the instrument will look like. I’ll be working with a modular installation consisting of twenty modules. Each one of them will have two guitar strings, making it a forty strings total. I think working with modules will end up being a good choice since, as soon as I figure out […]

project development studio : update

I find it really challenging to fit my project in questions like ‘what?’, ‘why?’, ‘for whom?’ and ‘how?’. I think of it as a challenging exercise because of the context and concepts which I often work with. The public, even though plays a big role in this context is not, by any means, the target […]

project development studio : update

This past week I worked on the second instrument for NIME. After observing the effect that the DC motor had on the guitar pickups, I decided to incorporate that in this second prototype. So, for this one I didn’t use any strings to produce sound. By altering the speed of the motors I realised the […]

project development studio : the funeral of horses

It all started with the proposal of creating a musical instrument and performing with it. At first, I was into Deleuze and Guattari’s A Thounsand Plateaus and their concept of rhizome. The idea, back then, was to come up with what I perceived as a “rhizomatic instrument”, that would have various points all connecting with […]